Wednesday, October 3, 2012

But How Big is Your Flag Pin?

So being 18 for a presidential election is a pretty big deal right? I can vote! I can have an opinion and make it count (sort of)! I can... be really, really confused.  

Tonight was the first presidential candidate debate.  I was fortunate enough to watch with two friends in my room while drinking a tall glass of milk with two double stuffed Oreos.  Sounds perfect right?  Not really.  

Frankly, I do not understand politicians.  The debate cleared up almost nothing.  I don't understand who is really the "better" candidate. Don't they both have good aspects and bad? They both do what they think is the best for our country in their eyes? I know everyone has an opinion on this.  My family is so polar-ly opposite they are freezing to death. So which is right?  Who am I supposed to vote for and feel confident about my decision?  It was all just talk?  Or at least it seemed like it.  And honestly, all I could think about the whole time was how someone out there was probably commenting on the color of Mitt's tie versus Obama's, and the size of their flag pins.  I guess some people are just more patriotic than others *she said sarcastically*.  Also, how do they remember all those numbers?  40% of this did that?  I tried to check the facts on my computer, but why aren't they on the screen during the debate?  That would certainly help a lot of people wouldn't it?  Also, the amount of times the candidates strayed from the actual questions was astounding, and yet not at all surprising.  How much of what they said is a campaign promise, and how much will actually change?  Why do they have to interrupt each other to make a point.  That seems rude?  Also, what is with the smiling?  No need to smile as the other candidate talks just to prove how silly you think what they are saying is. 

The debate reminded me of visiting the Kennedy museum.  Walking along the water, all the way to being inside the library, my dad couldn't stop talking about how, for the Nixon versus Kennedy debate, people watching on t.v. thought differently about the debate than people listening on the radio.  Listeners felt that one person "won", while viewers thought the opposite.  Was this debate the same? My friend continuously commented on how great Romney was coming off, even though she doesn't agree with his policies.  Did he sound better? Or did he just look better?  I tried to close my eyes, but that didn't really help.  

Let's be honest.  I think Michelle Obama should run for president.  Maybe it would strip Barack of his masculinity, and maybe some people (ignorant idiots) would think a woman cannot be president, but she seems pretty good.  She is smart and I like her ideas. What could be bad about that?  Plus maybe that is just the amount of change this country needs to be better than it ever was.  

We don't need to compete with every other country.  We need to compete with what we think the best we can be is, and be better.  I don't know which candidate will do that.  Hopefully that will become clearer over the coming month.  Hopefully.

Oh, my friend sent me this link to help clear some things up. He says it's not biased, but I'm pretty sure everything is.  It may just be facts, but someone with an opinion wrote down those facts, and presented them in the way they wanted to.  Everything has an influence on someone. 
Here is the link if you want though.
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/05/01/4456551/obama-vs-romney-where-they-stand.html

My mom's idea: Reform the way we vote! Vote for a president and test him out for a year.  If the people vote that they like him, he can have four more years.  If they don't, the other candidate can have a trial year. If the people liked him, then he could get four more years.  If we don't like him either, there would be an entirely new election with entirely new candidates.  Or... Have each elected president be in office for six years with no reelection possibilities.  Pretty good ideas if you ask me. 

Basically, I think something needs to change.  America can do better than this.  There are more important things to worry about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment