Sunday, February 17, 2013

Dancing the Boogie with the Company B


Some places are great for people watching.  The mall, busy restaurants, and parks are hot spots for sure, but I never knew how great a Valentine's Day Swing Dance could be.  Trust me, they are wonderful.  You can watch couples and single old men with no hair go crazy.  

At this dance, I had the privilege of seeing one old man being one of the cutest people while he danced all alone in his pale green shirt.  You could totally tell he was one of those white haired men who look in the mirror every morning thinking "how did I get this old?".  He definitely pictures himself as a young soldier from World War II or something when he wakes up, and the reflection in his mirror never meets these expectations.  I could just imagine him seeing some girl with bright red lipstick and soft curls singing in front of a big band with one of those big circle microphones and knowing that one day, after the war, he would marry her. You know, one of those classic 40s love stories that have so much cheese you'd think you're a mouse.  Well, anyways, seeing him dancing all alone I knew (well not really, but I did) that he was thinking about dancing with his girl, the singer from the war who he proposed to and married the minute the bombs stopped dropping and the guns stopped firing.  He clearly missed her very much, but since their first dance together as a married couple was swing, and they danced together every Valentine's Day after, he had to come to The League in his dancing shoes to spend the night thinking of her in the best way he knew how, and I loved him for that.  

Now I know this story is probably far from the truth, but the best way to people watch is to make up their stories. Well so this old man, with the white hair and the green button down, spurred story after story in my brain while he silently danced the night away all alone.  I could probably write a whole book about this old man, he was that inspiring, and again, I don't even know his name.  I never danced with him. I only ever smiled once, and then continued to do my own thing, too nervous to approach him and ask for a dance like my more brave friends.  Although every time you go to a new place you can find a mess of characters to fill your brain with stories, this one, this old man, was definitely my favorite.  He had so much history to make up and so much future to fulfill.  Thanks old man for rocking it out at the Valentine's Dance! If you haven't done this, try it, it's super rewarding.  




Also, totally random yet totally important side note: Sporks were made for Ramen Noodle Soup. If you have not discovered this, you're welcome.  If you have, share the knowledge because seriously, it has revolutionized my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment