Tuesday, October 8, 2013

That Thing You Do

It's 11:47.  You're walking down the hallway to the printers after a long day of classes and homework.  All you can think about are the piles of books and articles on your desk and how much you would much rather be in bed.  Someone walks by you.  You don't even take the time to look at them.  Then you hear a shuffle behind you.  They've turned around and are coming your way.  They point at you and say "you look like you could use a hug", give you a big bear hug, and walk away.  And your day just got better.  Suddenly one of those days just became one of those great days.

You know what I'm talking about.  Those little things people say or do that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  The things that can change your day from the absolute worst day ever to one of the best days that you just have to tell everyone about.   In the past couple weeks, I've either watched this happen to a bunch of people, or I've been the lucky recipient!  Only problem is, I don't think I've been able to make anyone feel the same way from one of my awesome and much needed comments or gestures.  Oh well.  I'll work on that.  In the mean time, I thought I'd share a few of the lovely things that have happened around me these past few weeks.

So the example I gave you is actually a real story.  My roommate Nicole was having a pretty rough day the other day.  She was on her way to the printers in the basement when someone stopped her to hug her because apparently she looked like she needed it.  She came back with a short story in hand and a huge smile on her face.  She couldn't wait to tell me the story.  Her day was instantly made, and mine got better just from hearing about it.  Props to the guy who hugged her.  I never would've thought to do that.

The next thing happened to my good friend Holly.  Holly was at Thursday Night Story Hour sitting on the floor right in front of the chair for the storytellers.  She has one of those super encouraging smiles that take up her entire face and make you feel like it's a gift to see it.  Apparently one of the story tellers noticed, too.  As we were leaving, the storyteller rushed after us and tapped Holly on the shoulder just to tell  her she had a beautiful smile.  She was so flattered she cried.  Not that this was tremendously out of the ordinary since she cries at practically everything, but it was still awesome to watch.  Right away she called her mom to tell her about it.  It was adorable.  She couldn't stop smiling all night.  Go storyteller, you made a night better!

Okay, last example.  This one is super simple but it always makes me feel great.  My friend Cody is the best at telling you how nice you look.  I'll admit, a lot of the time it's just something that I threw together five minutes before class and the comment really only makes me feel good that it worked out.  But every so often I've actually taken the time to look nice, and Cody always notices.  Those are the days I get the "wows" and "damnnnns" that are silly enough and great enough to put a smile on my face and make me feel great for the rest of the day.  Yay Cody! 

I've figured out why I love these so much.  The best thing about these gestures and comments is that people don't even know the effect they are having on someone else.  Heck, someone told me they were glad they met me and I was instantly ecstatic.  They probably didn't have a clue, though. That is what makes them so great!  And they're easy too!  A quick smile.  A short wave.  A little wink.  These are day makers!  And people do these things just because they feel like it, not because they think people will actually need it.  I guess it's just one of the wonderful things about human kind.  On occasion, we just like being nice to each other for no reason at all.  We rock!  Keep it up humans!

No comments:

Post a Comment