Wednesday, June 12, 2013

You! is Now the Funniest Thing Ever (June 8, 2013)

Again, sorry this is late.  I know. I suck. 
So Saturday morning June 8th, we woke up to thunderstorms in Barcelona.  Bummer! We didn’t want to miss an entire day in the city, so we (basically everyone on the trip) decided to follow my roommate’s plan to see like everything in Barcelona in one day even with the rain (which promptly stopped about five minutes after we left to make our day nice and hot and humid as usual. I swear this place is like Michigan with all its wacky weather.).  We tried to get together in the lobby, but that took some time to get everyone there at the same time.  Then, we tried to get to the metro, but moving that many people in a strange city didn’t really work out either.  Having gotten a quick little tutorial on where the subway was and how it works, my friend and I tried to lead, but no one listened and we ended up taking quite some time to find the stop.  Then we finally got there and there were some issues getting tickets.  One girl’s credit card even got stuck in the machine, and the guy was so confused saying, “Wow, this NEVER happens”.  So reassuring. 
First stop: La Sagrada Familia.  How amazing!  We walked around and took a bunch of pictures and then some people got in line to go inside.  I, being an idiot and listening to someone who told me the wait was going to be 2 hours and that we would only be allowed inside for 10 minutes, decided not to wait and went on with my day.  (Big mistake that I was sure to correct the next day, don’t worry.) (I keep getting incorrect information on this trip. lol)
Then, I went with a group to the beach, where we heard there was good paella.  They loved it, but I have decided, although it was fine, paella really isn’t my thing.  I just don’t like rice so I don’t know why I even bothered.  I guess I thought I had to try paella in Spain or the trip wouldn’t be complete.  To be honest, I’m ready for some new food because I was getting sick of all of the Spanish cuisine.  (Too much of the same and very pricey for all those little portions)    Parisian food should be really good and that is our next stop so yay! 
After lunch, we walked on the beach and took bunches of pictures with sailboats and the pretty view.  We went out to the pier and basked in the sun and saltwater fish smell.    We continued walking, saw a nude beach, and went to the W hotel where one girl had a membership and there was supposed to be an amazing view on their rooftop bar.  The rooftop bar wasn’t open for another half hour, so I went with one girl to Disegual (free beer, watermelon, and cheese?) while everyone else went to some bar called Salt.  We met up with them and waited until the bar opened but instead of going to the bar we went to the roof pool.  That was pretty cool because it had a really great view of the beach, but it was a bit cold and I was getting anxious to get a move on.  Then some of the kids made a friend with some guy from South America and mooched his alcohol until they decided to finally go upstairs.  Turns out, we weren’t dressed appropriately to even get in to the roof bar.  It was pretty sad so we left and some people went back to the hotel while two of my friends and I kept on touring. 
One girl had to leave so the two of us left made our way to the Gothic Quarters, not knowing what we were even looking for.  We got a little lost, so I said, “I wish Hugo was here so he could help us find our way and have fun”.  Then my friend said, “I dunno, I wish Peter was here”.  Literally, the crowd next to us cleared away and less than a minute later we looked and she shouted, “You! I know you!” right at Peter’s face.  Of all the people in Barcelona!?  Peter helped us find our way (AKA go straight and it is less than 100 feet away), and asked us how our day was.  My friend and I, being completely awkward as usual, answered with a little detail missing.  She said that we spent the whole day at the beach and the hotel, and that tomorrow we were gonna go back to the beach so we could relax.  We sounded ridiculous so she made sure to tell him the next day that we did more than that to make up for our apparent lazy tourist beach days.
So we got to the actual Gothic Quarters, took a million pictures, and moved on to the next thing on our hit list.  We walked to Las Ramblas, asked a police man where it was (he thought we were so dumb) and there just happened to be an Art Fair right near by with all local artists.  I love that!  But I didn’t find anything I wanted!  I did like the all plastic made jewelry, but I’m just gonna try to make some myself.  My friend bought a shirt too.  Then we went to the market for some essentials: chocolate, coke, and water.  On the way to the metro, we again thought we were lost (lol jk when we asked we found out the metro station was five feet away).  This boy (American?) gave us directions, because we really needed it, and then invited us to a traveler’s bar.  We told him we weren’t interested, that if we were going out we would be going to a local bar.  He tried to tell us it was local, “the bar is about 50% locals and 50% foreigners”.  We laughed to ourselves, said thanks but no thanks, and went to the metro to go home.  Of course, the ticket ran out and we had to buy more.  But hey, we got a new one and it worked out.  We even figured out the rest of the way home no problem at all!
Then we went to another market and out to dinner for some really bad pizza and pasta at some hole-in-the-wall before coming back for a much needed bedtime. 
Pretty good day, just wish I spent less time at the beach and the W.  But if you know me at all you know I am really not a lay on the beach kind of girl.  Well, for the most part.  Oh well.  Still amazing in Barcelona!  

No comments:

Post a Comment