Saturday, September 1, 2012

I'm a True Blue

So apparently I'm supposed to bleed maize and blue at this place? At least that's what they tell me I'm supposed to do. 

Also, I've discovered that when someone randomly, or not so randomly, shouts "GO!!!!", I am expected to shout back "BLUE!!!!!!!".  Now I understand that this is a tradition like any other, but walking to a stadium and having a stranger yell "GO!" at you is very concerning.  I thought I had to leave or something? 

Another thing I have learned: people stand at football games... even football games that are happening in Texas. Why would we need to stand while we watch Michigan lose to Alabama on a big screen TV in the Big House? The team isn't even there? The coaches aren't even there. The band isn't even there? Why??

Semi-funny story about the band today, though.  My friend K's boyfriend N plays trumpet in the marching band.  That means he has to practice nine hours a day, every day, in order to play at games. He was also honored today with the position of leading the trumpet section.  This is huge because, like me, he is just a Freshman and Freshman do not usually lead their sections. K wanted to support the musical master, so she texted him and asked what time we should go to the stadium to see him.  He told her 50 minutes before the game, during the halftime show, and after we lost and that we should go see slash hear him play. So we went.   Turns out, the band was in Texas. We would've never been able to hear him play because that stuff is never on television! We sat at a crowded welcome week event for way longer than necessary, all because my friend thought the random "on a plane" text message she got wasn't real.  The kid sends a lot of obscure messages that don't mean anything, but this wasn't one. We ended up getting a free shirt (plus side), leaving, and eating at Pizza Bob's instead.  Then we went back to my dorm and listened to oldies fairly loudly while dancing and cutting yellow T-shirts.  However, I did finally meet some people in my hall! Music really does draw them in, even Marvin Gaye and Jackson Five.

FYI, the title has to do with the free shirt.  I'm supposed to stay in the blue, and therefore be a "true blue" like Dory.  I bet the people handing out the shirts were anything but alcohol free, but hey, it was a free shirt.  How could I resist?

No comments:

Post a Comment